Full-time arbitrator, mediator and arbitration consultant.
Mediator & Arbitrator
Areas of Expertise:
✔ ADA Disability ✔ Aviation
✔ Biotech ✔ Class Actions
✔ Commercial/Business ✔ Contract Disputes
✔ Defamation (Libel & Slander) ✔ Employment
✔ Entertainment ✔ Franchise
✔ Health Care ✔ Insurance
✔ Intellectual Property ✔ International
✔ Licensing ✔ Media & Communications
✔ Medical Malpractice ✔ Mergers & Acquisitions
✔ Pharmaceuticals ✔ Real Estate
✔ Securities ✔ Technology
✔ Trademarks ✔ Trade Secrets and Confidentiality Disputes
Arbitrator and mediator of complex domestic and international commercial, business, entertainment, employment, intellectual property, franchise and other matters through AAA Large Complex Case and international (ICDR) rosters, as well as CPR and other specialty rosters
Please visit http://www.deborahrothman.com for calendar and additional information.
includes . . .
- AAA Advanced Healthcare Arbitration 2016.
- Faculty, Chartered Institute Of Arbitrators “Arbitrating In North America - Now And Tomorrow” Los Angeles, UCLA School of Law, June 2015.
- Faculty, 25th Annual ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Seminar, “Ethical Issues in Mediations and Arbitrations," Tucson, AZ, Feb. 28 – March 2, 2013.
- College of Commercial Arbitrators Annual Meetings including 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and National Summit on B2B Arbitration, 2009
- OCBA ADR Section, “Recent Cases & Statutory Developments in Arbitration” 2013 [faculty]
- OCBA ADR Section, “Gender Diversity in Commercial Arbitration” 2013 [faculty]
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, “Ethical Issues in Mediations and Arbitrations," 2013 [faculty]
- ABA Dispute Resolution Section Spring Meetings, including 2012, 2011, 2009
- California Dispute Resolution Council ("CDRC") 15th Annual Dispute Resolution Policy Conference, 2008 [faculty]
- "AA and UC Irvine Law School, Muscular Arbitration: "Discovery & eDiscovery" and "Streamlining The Case Management Conference"] 2011 [faculty]
- ABA 6th Annual Arbitration Institute 2011 [faculty]
- "Managing Your First Arbitration" Co-sponsored by the College of Commercial Arbitrators, AAA, JAMS, ABA, LACBA & the Beverly Hills Bar Assoc. 2010 [faculty]
- California Bar Annual Meeting, “How Can Litigators and Arbitrators Streamline Arbitration to Increase Efficiency?” 2010 [faculty]
- ABA Annual Meeting, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee, “The Cutting Edge of Arbitration: What You Need to Know” 2010 [faculty]
- ABA Dispute Resolution Annual Spring Conference co-panelist: Arbitration Plenary: “Let’s Get the Lead Out! How Arbitrators, Outside Counsel, Clients and Providers Can Make Business-to-Business Arbitration Faster and Less Expensive” 2010 [faculty]
- ABA Dispute Resolution Annual Spring Conference, “Preparing the Battlefield: How Effective Use of the First Case Management Conference can Work for Advocates, Arbitrators, Clients and Providers” 2010 [faculty]
- Key Bridge Foundation/DOJ, ADA Mediation Training, 2008
- AAA Dealing With Delay Tactics in Arbitration (ACE004), 2006
- AAA Arbitrator Ethics and Disclosure (ACE003), 2005
- AAA Neutrals Conference, 2004
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (ACE001), 2004;
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, Masters Forum, 2003
- AAA Employment Arbitrator II Training: Advanced Case Management Issues, 2002
- ABA, Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Training, 2002 [faculty]
- ABA, Mediation Training for Judges, 2001 [faculty]
- AAA Arbitrator Update 2001
- OCBA ADR Section, “Recent Cases & Statutory Developments in Arbitration” Malibu, CA, May, 2013 [faculty]
- OCBA ADR Section, “Gender Diversity in Commercial Arbitration” Newport Beach, CA, April, 2013 [faculty]
- ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, “Ethical Issues in Mediations and Arbitrations," Tuscon, AZ, March, 2013 [faculty]
California State Bar.
Best Los Angeles Arbitrator 2012--Best Lawyers in America.
Southern California Superlawyer every year since 2006.
Best Lawyers in America every year since 2006.
Named one of 32 top Entertainment and Media Power Mediators by HollywoodReporterEsq.com in 2007.
Named one of the top 16 commercial arbitrators in California by Who's Who Legal in 2009.
American Arbitration Association/ICDR--international, commercial, healthcare, franchise, employment, large complex cases and commercial real estate panels.
FINRA (NASD) --inactive
ADR Services (California)
U. S. Dep't of Justice ADA Mediation Panel (Key Bridge Foundation)
American Bar Association (Forum Committee on Franchising); Dispute Resolution Section--Arbitration, Corporate ADR; Intellectual Property Committees); Los Angeles and Beverly Hills ("BHBA") Bar Associations. Exec. Committee, BHBA Business Law Section. International Academy of Mediators (Distinguished Fellow).
June, 1971. B.A., Yale College, Magna cum Laude with Departmental Honors
June, 1976. Juris Doctor, New York University School of Law.
June, 1976. Masters, Public Affairs, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University
"Who Took the 'Me' Out of Mediation?," DAILY JOURNAL, January 15, 2010; co-author, "Survey: Difficult Arbitration E-Discovery Process Questions Suggest Increasingly Complex Future Problems on Costs, Scope," CPR ALTERNATIVES, October, 2009; co-author with Tom Brewer, "Technology Survey Indicates Big Case Management Problems from E-Discovery Are Spreading, Growing More Expensive," CPR ALTERNATIVES, September, 2009; "eDiscovery: From the Arbitrators' Perspective," CALIFORNIA LITIGATION, vol. 22, no. 1, 2009; co-author, "Take Steps to Ensure Mediated Settlements Can Be Enforced," DAILY JOURNAL, October 20, 2006; "'Murphy' Won't Ease Settling Employment Claims Involving Emotional Distress," DAILY JOURNAL, September 15, 2006; co-author, "What Drives the Dispute? Analyzing Party Psychology Provides an Opportunity for Mediation Room Success," CPR ALTERNATIVES, July 2005; "Employment Mediation 101 for the Consumer Attorney: An Exploration of Differences Between Employment and Personal Injury Mediation," ADVOCATE, October 2004; "Employment Mediation 101 for the Consumer Attorney: An Exploration of Differences Between Employment and Personal Injury Mediation," ADVOCATE, October 2004; co-author, "For the Defense: Keys to A Successful Mediation," CPR Institute: Alternatives to the High Costs of Litigation, August, 2004; chapter author, "Resolving Securities Industry Disputes," ARBITRATION HANDBOOK 2001, Practicing Law Institute; "Mediation of Class and Multi-Party Wage & Hour/Overtime Claims," CALIFORNIA STATE BAR LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW QUARTERLY, Fall 2001; "Betting the Odds: Increasing the Likelihood of Punitive Damages Awards in Arbitration," DAILY JOURNAL, November 10, 2000; "Flight Plan: Overcoming Impasse," DAILY JOURNAL, March 17, 2000; "Carrying a Tune: Mediation in the Entertainment Industry," DAILY JOURNAL, December 3, 1999; "Coming of Age: Classes Cannot Prepare Mediators for Challenging Cases," DAILY JOURNAL, May 26, 1999; "How to Lose at Mediation Without Hardly Trying," DAILY JOURNAL, May, 1999; "Sixth Sense: Neutrals Sometimes Rely on Intuition to Help Settle Disputes," DAILY JOURNAL, August 8, 1998; "Special Types of Contractual Arbitrations and Their Problems," Los Angeles County Bar Association LITIGATION SECTION NEWSLETTER, vol.15, no.1, Summer 1998; "Natural Selection: In Mediation, Familiarity Breeds Confidence," LOS ANGELES DAILY JOURNAL, April 10, 1996. Frequent contributor to Los Angeles Daily Journal; co-editor of Q & ADR in VERDICTS & SETTLEMENTS.
Parties and counsel appreciate that I am a fair, dedicated, creative, cost-conscious arbitrator of complex cases who collaborates with counsel early and frequently to effectively phase the discovery and tailor the hearing process to the clients and their particular dispute, and facilitate the early assessment of settlement options by counsel and their clients. I encourage party representatives to attend case management conferences and give input to their counsel regarding their preferences as to discovery, motion practice, etc.