Has served as arbitrator in over 130 complex international commercial arbitration cases conducted under the UNCITRAL Rules as well as the rules of the following institutions: ICC, AAA, ICDR, CIETAC, CAA, HKIAC, KCAB, KLRCA, SCC, SHIAC and SIAC. Extensive experience with Asia-based commercial, trade and investment transactions, intellectual property licensing, trade secrets, manufacturing, film & entertainment, hotel and shareholder matters.
Chaired the China practices of multinational law firms in Beijing and Hong Kong for over 20 years. Member, governing council of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Commission of CIETAC and the Executive Committee of the AAA Board of Directors. Co-chair, Arbitration Committee, International Bar Association (IBA) in 2008 and 2009. Founding member, CIETAC International Board of Advisers. Founding member, Arbitral Women.
Specializes in Asia-related complex commercial cases.
- Harvard Law School Program for Instruction of Lawyers – Mediation Certificate
- Straus Institute Advanced Mediation Training Certificate
State of California qualification to practice law (1978)
Hong Kong SAR, China qualification to practice law (2001) - currently non-practicing
President, American Chamber of Commerce in the People’s Republic of China (elected by the Chamber members) for two terms in 1985 and 1986.
As an Arbitrator, recognized in the following lists:
- Asia Pacific Legal 500,
- Global Arbitration Review (GAR)
- Top Arbitrators in Asia,
- Top Women in Arbitration & Top 100 Arbitrators Worldwide.
- Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC)
- China Arbitration Association (CAA)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- CPR Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, New York, New York
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- ICDR – American Arbitration Association (AAA), New York, New York
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA)
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Center for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- Shanghai Arbitration Commission
- Shanghai International Arbitration Center (SHIAC)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
Fluent in Chinese, Spanish and English.
Affiliated Scholar, Center for East Asian Legal Studies, UC Law, San Francisco Website: www.sallyharpole.com